We may be interested in buying or consigning your used piano or organ if it meets the following criteria. We get many calls every day asking us to buy old instruments.
Before you call asking to Sell or Consign your Piano or Organ, please read the following:
1. GENERAL CONDITION: “It looks like new” has NOTHING to do with the value of your piano. Every person who has ever called here starts with, “It looks like new”. The outside appearance has little to do with the value of your piano.
2. AGE: Vertical piano should be less than 35 years old. Grand pianos should be less than 45 years old. If you do not know the age of your piano call us with the brand and serial number and we can probably tell you.
3. TUNING HISTORY: Even if not played, a piano requires regular tuning – preferably annually. Not having played the piano in years does NOT make it more valuable, likely just the opposite, since not playing often translates to not maintained.
4. NO SPINET PIANOS: Upright pianos that are 36” to 38” tall (from the floor to the top of the closed piano lid) most likely are spinet pianos.* Key size, extra moving parts and difficulty of maintenance are a few of the many reasons that prevent us from considering spinet pianos.
5. BRANDS: We prefer Yamaha or other Japanese built pianos as it has been our experience these instruments tend to perform better over time. We will consider other brands of pianos depending on the instruments reputation, maintenance and tuning history in relation to the other criteria herein.
6. Sorry, We can not tell you over the phone how much your piano is worth. Every one asks, but without a physical inspection from a competent technician there is no way to know. We do not offer in home inspections but may be able to suggest technicians if you want an appraisal. Please know that technicians charge a fee to come to your home. We can not speak for people we do not employ, so you would need to talk them them about their fee. I believe that currently most charge between $100 and $200 for this service.
1. ORGANS: We do not sell used organs other than Allen Church Organs built after 1990 or Lowrey Home Organs built after 1995. Since all other home organ companies we know of are either out of business or no longer sold in the U.S., we can’t get parts for those other older organs and thus they have no value to us, nor do I expect to anyone else.
* For your reference here are pictures of Grand, Vertical and Spinet pianos.